Monday, April 28, 2008

The Leaf

Friday morning, I prepared myself for my regular schedule of hearing confession. I sat inside the confessional booth and started to listen to the sins of my parishioners. After their confessions, I gave them my “fatherly” advice. All is well until a lady approached the booth not to confess but to ask for counseling from me. From the tone of her voice, I could sense that the lady was in her mid 20’s. Her voice seemed familiar. I listened attentively.

“Father, can you give me some advice?” She started. “I will be wed next week. I have a good and understanding boyfriend. I love him too, but my feelings for a childhood friend kept haunting me. I cannot take him out of my mind and my heart. I feel that I still love him,”

The lady seemed deeply troubled and I presupposed she greatly needed proper guidance and counseling.

“Father,” she continued, “I have a strong feeling that we will meet again for he promised before that he would be back. He even gave me a LEAF as a sign of his promise…”

“What? A leaf? D…D…Diana, is it you?”

“Yes.” Her voice foretold she was also surprised. “Diana, it is me, Richie!”

“Richie?...Rich…? Rich…?

“Yes, it is me Diana, Richie, your childhood friend.”

Diana was my closest childhood friend. We were in the same school in Kalibo. I used to fetch her in their house and let her ride on my “Hot Rod” – my big cart’s name. Because we had many books to bring, heavy enough for me to carry, I was bringing my “Hot Rod” so that I could place all my stuff as I went to and from school. During Saturdays, Diana and I played in their backyard. We would climb trees and lay under their shades eating fruits if there were any.

There was that one very memorable Saturday. That was, few weeks before Christmas. Diana and I were sitting under a tree, watching its leaves as they glided with the soft breeze.

“You know Rich,” Diana started, “When I grow up, I want to be a nurse, a wife with five children, and my husband will be…”

“Who?” I eagerly asked. “You.” Diana whispered.

“What? Me?” I was really astonished.

“Why, is there somebody…that knew a girl in Mr. Temporaza’s house?”

“Oh no, not really. I only admire her because she’s kind and…”

“Beautiful?” Diana interrupted. She looked at me dearly and asked, “Do you like her?”

I could sense that she would cry if I answered positively.

“Well of course, I like her, but, I like you more. You know, you have a very special place in my heart and you will be here always…forever.” I put my hand on my chest like a poet narrating his piece on stage.

“Calm down, don’t you know that you are more pretty when you’re nearly crying?” She smiled and threw some dried grasses at me. The atmosphere was filled with laughter and happiness. That was also the last time I heard Diana laughing.

The following morning, my parents told me that shocking news. We had to move out soon because of some business reasons.” I immediately ran toward the house of Diana. Luckily, I saw her in their garden. I told her about the sad news and I could see tears in her eyes. I took the opportunity to bid her goodbye.

“Remember what I’ve told you. You have a special place in my heart, always and forever. I promise…to…be back.” I hardly uttered my words. I almost cried. I turned back so that she could not see my crying.

“Rich,” she come to me and hugged me, “Keep your promise.” I could feel her tears on my shoulders.

“I will.”

I kissed her on her cheeks as a sign of my farewell. I took a leaf from one of the plants and gave it to Diana.

“Take care of that leaf. That will be the symbol of my everlasting love for you and I’ll be back.”

Upon saying those words, I left Diana with tears on her eyes. It was our last meeting. Two days later, our family left Kalibo for our new house in Iloilo. I couldn’t help myself but cry because I would never Diana again. I was enrolled by my parents in the seminary. Still, my feelings for Diana was not changed. I always remembered our shared happy moments; our “love story”. Later, I had learned from a friend that their family resettled in Manila. It was then that I tried my best to forget Diana. I engaged myself in my studies and in joining seminary activities I began to discover Jesus. I established an intimate relationship with Him, with His grace, I am now a priest and presently assigned in this parish. I can’t imagine that I’ll meet Diana in this place again. Ah, for almost fifteen years… I still can’t imagine.

“I thought you’ll love me forever? Didn’t you promise to be back?” Diana’s voice was asking.

“Diana, God knows how much I love you. In fact, I tried my best to find you everywhere but it seemed God hid you from me, so that I can find Him. That I cannot share only my love for you, but for all the people I serve. I know that God did not abandon you and will never forsake you. Now, as you have said, He provides you with a good and understanding boyfriend to be your husband. He is…?”

“Cesar, Father, my boyfriend’s name is Cesar.” She is quite relieved now.

“Yes, Cesar! God gives you Cesar for you to be happy. For I have always prayed and will always pray for your happiness.

“Likewise, I do, Father Rich, maybe we are not really meant for each other. We have different vocations. God has plans for each of us. I also pray that we will find perfect happiness in the vocations we have chosen. Maybe God willed that we cross paths again so that we can be cleared of our perplexed feelings,” she concluded.

Although I could not see Diana’s face clearly, I could sense enlightenment in her. I was about to give her my final blessings, when…

“Father, you have not yet given me penance?! Diana said jokingly.

“Penance? You have not confessed your sins, have you? Anyway, since you ask for it, for your penance, invite me to your wedding and banquet and include me as one of the godfathers of your first-born child. Is it okay?”

“No problem!” She replied immediately and laughed. Again, I heard Diana’s laughter.

Finally, I gave Diana my blessings and she went off the confessional booth. After the confession, I knelt before the image of the Sacred Heart at the altar to pray. I could feel a strong wind blowing. As I opened my eyes, I eventually saw a dry leaf before me. In silence, I could hear my Lord saying: “That leaf is a sign of my everlasting love for you! I will never abandon you because you have a special place in my heart, and that you will here always…forever!”

1 comment:

Pre said...

my first published work written at second year highschool, i think.