Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Seven Days Of Bad Luck: Day 6

Like an automaton, everything seemed to pass by me in a haze. I found myself sternly staring at the white paint, a horizontal line indicating a division between the pedestrian lane and the highway. I muse at the thought of what to become of me if i decide to step out of this safety zone. Nah. I wouldn't die. I'd only piss off more drivers who were already agitated at the way the traffic was moving. On the other hand, I might get lucky. Some schmuck might actually run me down, cut me in half, drag this flesh at least seven meters across the coarse concrete. With my guts out, that would be a dramatic conclusion to this so called life, wouldn't it? I wonder if she would cry. I wonder if they would cry. Would you cry?

As i put a foot forward, a car suddenly passed by me. Apparently, the driver was in a hurry. The fact that i was almost indeed ran over by some schmuck is not what really occupied me. It was the kid sitting beside the driver's seat. She looked like a younger version of someone i knew. The way she looked at me lingered in my mind. Her eyes were piercing as if she knew what i was about to do. Chills. I put my foot back. Oh! i guess not today.

Evening. A knock on the door prevented me from getting fully absorbed in the blinking nothingness of the computer screen's cursor. "Get dressed," he said.

To follow...

1 comment:

Pre said...

a part of a mini series.