Friday, June 6, 2008

What Is A True Writer


I just would like to share what i've written as an entry to a short essay writing contest by my boss. I don't know if i am allowed to do this but what that the heck! as if he got time to read this blog. Here goes:

I remember a story told by a lady professor of mine back in college about an award-winning literary piece and if my memory serves me right, it was entitled “A Bashful One”. She told us that the only thing written in that poem was the title and a plain period right in the middle of it. Upon hearing this, we laughed at first only then to realize that the message was quite clear. If the person uttered something on that poem then that would not make him or her a bashful one, is it not?

What then is the basis for being a true writer given that a simple punctuation mark can reveal so much to others? I opine that a true writer is one who can clearly and creatively convey his thoughts to the readers. All other things are just guidelines to be followed for purposes of convenience and order.

2 comments:

moonfaerie said...

hear! hear!

Pre said...

me sounding as if i know what i was talking about. thanks naomi for the nice comment.